Dragon*Con Moments, 2011
By Philip Schweier
Sep 21, 2011 - 10:08
Oh, yeah. “Coolest guy at the con.” That’s like calling Moe the “smart” Stooge.
Overheard at the Stargate: Universe table in the Walk of Fame, as a fan greeted actor David Blue. “You are here.”
• While on the floor sorting through back issues in the dealer’s room, I was approached by a man in the General Zod costume from the Superman movies. “Kneel before Zod,” he said. I looked at him and replied, “Your fly is open.” He hurried off in embarrassment.
Last time a man in leather hip boots told me to kneel in front of him, he ended up in the back of squad car. I ended up in therapy.
Buddy, that’s a Tardis that has already sailed.
• I’m as big a fan of Joss Whedon’s Firefly as the next guy (assuming the next guy doesn’t work for FOX). But did any of those people wearing the knitted Jayne hat from the episode The Message actually watch ALL of that episode?
“That hat makes you look like an idiot.” - Richard Burgi as Lt. Womack, to Adam Baldwin as Jayne Cobb
Goes double for baby strollers. They invented daycare for a reason.
• Con etiquette lesson #2: If you’re a filker, please don’t filk in the public areas. If we were interested in listening to you warble a few bars about the wonder that is Master Frodo, we’d be in the filking room with you. Otherwise, we’re just trying to get to our next panel with a minimum of fuss.
• Con etiquette lesson #3: Two things are key when attending a con: communication and mobility. The shear volume of people make both difficult, and trying to do both at the same time is counter-productive.
If you must text, step off to the side and get out of the way of other people.
Considering the prices of Bakshi’s production cells started around $200, it’s this kind of generosity of spirit that creates fans for life.
• Mr. Owl, how many times during a science fiction convention does Frank Conniff (Mystery Science Theater 3000, Cinematic Titanic) get on an elevator and is told, “Push the button, Frank?”
The world may never know.
• Overheard in the Hyatt Hotel lobby:
Woman: Who's your favorite captain?
Man: Captain Morgan.
Woman: No. Starship captain.
Man: Oh. Malcolm Reynolds
Woman: No. Star Trek captain. And don't say Sisko!
Man: Is he not a captain?
Man's Friend: I would have to go with Kirk.
Woman's Friend: But Picard was so much better
Man's Friend: Kirk was man. Picard was a manager.
I suspect that Borgnine could recite his lines and Esperanto and the producers would tell him, “Great work, Mr. Borgnine. That’s a wrap.” He’s Ernest - freakin’ - Borgnine!
Photos courtesy of Dr. Doug Larson. To see more of his 2011 Dragon*Con gallery, click here
Praise and adulation? Scorn and ridicule? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Professionals Call for Boycott of Dragon*Con
The Mike Grell Dragon*Con Panel
Dragon*Con Moments, 2011
The Costumes of Dragon*Con