By Eli Green
Feb 27, 2008 - 23:59
News we missed
Whether it was game releases, release date announcements, new console model announcements or other regular video game news, we missed quite a bit of it all this week, thanks to some unfortunate mishaps that happened earlier in the week. In order to bring things back up to speed, we bring you, in shorter format, the news we missed!
The FIFA Interactive World Cup 2008 is hitting Los Angeles this Saturday, March 1 st . This will be the only live qualifying event of the FIWC, and it will be held from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the GameStop at 1000 Universal Studios Blvd., Universal City , CA. FIWC will showcase 128 of the best interactive soccer players in North America competing for one of 32 berths in the FIWC Grand Final on May 24 in Berlin. Up to 50 competitors can pre-register for the event by logging on to www.easports.com/fifa08/fiwc.jsp while the remaining 78 spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis on the day of the event. That, of course, is based on eligibility restrictions. For more information, go to http://fifa08.ea.com/us.
New 80GB PS3 coming this summer
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced yesterday that it will be releasing a new 80GB Playstation 3 bundle in late Quarter 2 of this year. The bundle will include a new 80GB Playstation 3, the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and the new DualShock 3 wireless controller. Sony also announced that the DualShock 3 wireless controller will become available in North America in April. The new 80GB Playstation 3 will cost $499 USD and CAD, while the DualShock 3 wireless controller will cost $54.99 USD and CAD.
Limited Edition God of War PSP Entertainment Pack
SCEA also announced a specially designed God of War PSP Entertainment Pack this week. The special bundle will include a new “Deep Red” PSP with a Kratos silkscreen on the back, the upcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus game, a copy of Superbad on UMD, plus a Playstation Network voucher to download Syhphon Filter: Combat Ops from the Playstation Store at no charge. This new PSP Entertainment Pack will be releasing in June and will cost $199.99 USD and CAD.
Mass Effect for PC dated
Electronic Arts has officially announced the release date for the PC version of Mass Effect . The game will be releasing in North America on May 6 th . The PC version will include the following features:
· New squad control interface – Players can now issue commands to individual squad members, providing a new level of depth to the tactical combat.
· Hot-key functionality – Biotic powers and abilities can be mapped to individual keys, allowing a faster “run and gun” style of gameplay.
· Re-designed Mako controls – Players can explore alien planets and engage in vehicular combat with an intuitive and fully camera independent control system for the Mako, their all-terrain vehicle.
· Quick-save – New quick-save button and increased number of save slots.
· New decryption mini-game – A new decryption mini-game invites players to test their skills as they avoid obstacles and move their icon to the center of the digital mechanism.
· New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.
Patapon available for PSP
SCEA's new cartoon, music rhythm/combat game is now available for PSP. The game is quite a value, priced at only $19.99 USD and CAD. In Patapon , players use various combinations of drumbeats to command their little cartoon army to march, attack, retreat, charge defend and even use magic.